Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Chicken Broccoli Divan

This was....well...it could use some tweaking. But with the tweaks, this has the potential to be a keeper in my book!

Ingredients...

...Broccoli (the recipe called for 1 lb. I used 1 bag of Steamers plus one head of fresh.
...1 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken meat
...1 (10.85) oz can Cream of Broccoli Soup (I didn't have any, so I used Cream of Chicken)
...1/3 c. Milk
...1/2 c. Shredded Cheese
...1 T. butter, melted
...2 T. bread crumbs

Directions...
Preheat oven to 350*. Boil Broccoli (skip this step if using steamers like I did. Just steam according to package directions). Place Broccoli in bottom of casserole dish. Layer shredded chicken on top. In a seperate bowl, whisk together milk and soup, pour over chicken. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. In a small bowl combine butter and crumbs. Sprinkle over top of cheese. Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven, or until cheese is bubbly and lightly brown.


My Thoughts...

This was missing something. Spices. When I reheated this for lunch the next day, I mixed in a bit of garlic powder and it really added that missing "something". I think next time I'll add garlic powder and some chopped onion. I also felt that it was missing some sort of a "carb" or "starch" I think next time I will layer some cooked noodles or rice on the bottom before the broccoli. I think that will make this a little more "meal like". I also think that next time I will be stirring the broccoli and chicken into the soup mixture. It just felt too seperated and layered with nothing combined. Otherwise, this is definetely a keeper recipe...it was delish!







No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails