Saturday, May 23, 2009

Curried Rice Ham Rolls

When I first found this recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook (Annual Recipes 1997, in case your interested. Page 92 if you happen to have the book on hand) I was truly excited to try it. The picture in the book looks pehnomenal and It sounded so delish! Well, it was delish, it just didn't look it.

The ingredients...

...1/2 C. chopped onion
...2 T. butter or margarine
...4 C. cooked brown or long grain rice (I only ended up using 2 1/2 and that was more than plenty)
...1 T. dried parsley flakes
...1/2 t. curry powder
...12 slices deli ham (I used lunchmeat ham)
...4 hard cooked eggs

Curry Sauce
...1/4 C. butter or margarine
...2 T. cornstarch
...1/4 t. curry powder
...2 C. milk, divided

Directions...

Preheat oven to 375*. In skillet, saute onion in butter until tender (about 3 minutes). In a large bowl combine rice, parsley, curry powder and onion; mix well. Spoon mixture down center of ham slices and roll up. Place in 9x13 pan. Arrange eggs on top of ham rolls. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a sauce pan. In a seperate bowl, combine cornstarch, curry powder, and 1/3 cup of the milk; mix well. Add gradually to butter in saucepan. Add remaining milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Pour over the ham rolls. Cover and bake at 375* for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.

My Thoughts....

This went horribly wrong for me. The flavor in the rice was good. The ham rolls were good. The sauce just didn't turn out whatsoever. I think it's because I definetely didn't combine the sauce ingredients seperately, I just threw them in with the butter. So the cornstarch clumped and hardened that way. This was good, but if you do choose to make it, make it so there aren't any leftovers...because this doesn't refrigerate well. Hubs liked it though, which surprised me immensely, so I might make this again, but it won't be for a while :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails