Thursday, October 29, 2009

Healthy Pumpkin Pie Muffins

One of the things I love about this time of year is getting to do so much baking with pumpkin. It's just so warm and inviting! And it makes my house smell a.maz.ing. which means I don't have to buy any special fall scented air fresheners. Soooo...I decided instead of filling up on calorific pumpkin pie and other such deliciousness, I would give my ever growing baby belly a healthier, less caloried up, option. So I found a basic healthy pumpkin muffin recipe, made some tweaks here and there and came up with this! Besides...I'll have enough calorie and fat watching with being pregnant through the holiday season (oh Lord, help me...), I figured I wouldn't need to start worrying about that now. Plus...I wanted something kind of healthy to make up for Halloween this coming weekend....*looks nervously around*


Ingredients...

...1 1/2 cups plus 1 T. flour
...1 1/3 cups white sugar
...1/2 tsp. baking powder
...1/2 tsp. baking soda
...1/2 tsp. salt
...1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
...1/2 tsp. cinnamon
...1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
...2 eggs
...1/2 (of a 15 oz.) can of pumpkin puree
...1/3 cup vanilla yogurt (plain will work as well. or unsweetened applesauce.)


Directions...

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. In a seperate, smaller bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin puree and yogurt until smooth. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well combined and a batter is formed. Grease 12 muffin cups and fill each cup halfway with muffin batter. Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

This recipe makes 18 muffins

To see other great breakfast recipe ideas to kick start your day, check out the Ultimate Recipe Swap over at Life as Mom.

2 comments:

karen said...

Now I know why I randomly bought a huge tub of vanilla yogurt this morning! Deep down I must have know there would be a recipe this awesome that called for it :)

Unknown said...

GREAT!!! recipe for this time of year. I make muffins often. THANKS!!! for the recipe.
Geri

Related Posts with Thumbnails