Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Homemade Cheese Sauce

This is one of those things that it never really occured to me could be homemade. I have so many recipes sitting in my "to try" file that call for cheese sauce (better known at the supermarket as Cheez-Wiz) but I just can't bring myself to spend $3+ on a single ingredient.

The other day, while cruising through The Tightwad Gazette, I found this recipe for homemade cheese sauce! I was ecstatic to say the least! Not only is this recipe far cheaper to make than the store boughten alternative, but it is just as tasty when used in recipes! Oh happy day!

Bring on the cheese recipes...


Ingredients...

...2 T. butter

...2 T. flour

...1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

...1 c. milk

...salt, pepper

Directions...

Melt butter in a saucepan. Blend in flour and combine with 1 cup of milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until sauce thickens and then add shredded cheese. Cook until smooth.

2 comments:

Chelsey said...

great idea! could you make this into a queso cheese too by adding a little salsa? or is the texture different?

MoneySavinDiva said...

You could try...but I think that the texture is a little different...not quite as smooth and "flawless". That is something I'll have to look into though :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails