Friday, February 12, 2010

Buttery Peas with Thyme

Day 3, the side dish!

I don't have a picture for this one quite yet -- which makes me feel like a bad food blogger. Pictures are coming. But for right now my computer has (yet another. yes. ANOTHER) virus. Hopefully this time we'll be back up and running in a week or so, but until then I am blogging from the local library. Which doesn't have a spot for plugging in memory cards that I'm aware of. Luckily, thanks to some extreme organization on my part, I had already uploaded pictures for other recipes into the day I wanted to share each one with you for the next few weeks, so today SHOULD be the only photo-less day! And HOPEFULLY we'll have our computer back FOR GOOD in a week or so!

Anyways. I'm not gonna lie to y'all. I'm getting tired of just plain old veggies. I want something different. No. I need something different. Something to add a little zest, so to speak. So when I found this recipe over at my Kitchen Cafe, I knew it was a must try! I'm glad that I decided to start with peas. They are the one veggie that I have the hardest time getting hubs to eat. One time he took a bite of canned peas and gagged. Yes, he literally gagged. That is the last I've gotten him to eat canned peas. Which is fine by me, I prefer the frozen variety anyways. I still had to fight him though. I found, through this recipe, however, that dolling up the peas really works! Hubs loved these!

I think I need to find new ways to doll up other veggies. Except for the whole butter and brown sugar laden method...I've been there done that. I can't seem to find any healthful benefits to vegetables dolled up with loads of BUTTER...

Here's the recipe. As soon as I get my computer back, I will share photos with you!

Ingredients...

...2 tablespoons butter
...1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 medium onion)
...2 teaspoons sugar
...1/4 teaspoon salt
...1/4 tsp. garlic powder
...3 cups frozen peas
...1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
...1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions...
In a skillet, melt the butter and add the onion, sugar and 1/4 tsp. of salt. Cook for about two minutes (the onion should be softened). Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds to one minute. Stir in the peas and thyme. Continue stirring while cooking until the peas are heated through. This should take around 3-5 minutes. Season with black pepper and salt as desired.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails