Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes

I originally saw a recipe very similar to this on one of Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals show, and I just wanted it sooo badly! I couldn't stop thinking about those "smashed" potatoes, as she called them, and searched the Food Network Website high and low for that recipe. Alas, since it was a rerun that I had spotted that great recipe on, the recipe was nowhere to be found on Food Networks website.

In comes Allrecipes to my rescue. I spotted this recipe in my recipe box (apparently I had saved it a year or so ago) and squealed with delight when I realized how close it was to Rach's potatoes! These potatoes are sooooo good! They are every bit as good as what I was imagining in my head! The bacon flavor distributes itself throughout the potatoes, the green peppers and onions add that extra little bit of "bam!" and the cheese...ohhh that ooey gooey cheese that has melted itself throughout the potatoes! That just made this side dish!


Ingredients...

...1/2 c. onion, chopped
...1/2 c. green pepper, chopped
...1 T. vegetable oil
...4 c. mashed potatoes
...1 c. shredded cheese, divided
...1/4 c. bacon, cooked and crumbled
...1 tsp. salt
...1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
 
Directions...
 
Saute onion and green pepper in vegetable oil. In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, 1/2 c. shredded cheese, bacon, salt, pepper and sauteed onions/green peppers. Stir until everything is well combined and evenly distributed. Place mixture into a greased 2 qt. oven safe casserole dish and top with remaining shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails