Friday, November 6, 2009

Jagerschnitzel

I have no idea what jagerschnitzel stands for in english. But I do know that it's a German dish. So whatever the German phrase for "this was good" is...insert it here. I should really learn more German, considering it's where my ancestors are from. The only German is know is "Oh my good God", but only when someone is feeding it to me word for word, lol! Anyways. This really was good. Since I've never had authentic jagerschnitzel, I'm sure that it won't be heartbreaking to change it up a bit next time, so I'm going to bake the pork instead of frying it. Just to save some calories. Hubs really liked this too...and the gravy/topping stuff would make a great gravy on mashed potatoes. I did serve this with mashed potatoes, but we just put some butter and salt on them. Next time I'll try the gravy...as gravy.


Ingredients...


...2 pork steaks, pounded thin (make sure you don't skip the "pounding thin" part. I did and it took FOREVER for the steaks to cook through!)
...1/2 cup bread crumbs (unseasoned)
...1/2 T. flour
...2 T. vegetable oil
...1 egg, beaten
...1/2 medium onion, chopped
...1 small can mushrooms
...3/4 cup water
...1 cube beef boullion
...1/2 T. cornstarch
...1/4 cup sour cream

Directions...

In a shallow dish, mix together the flour and bread crumbs. Place the beaten egg in a seperate shallow dish. Dredge steaks through egg and then through bread crumb mixture, making sure that all sides are evenly coated. Place oil in skillet over medium heat. Place coated steaks in heated oil and cook until meat is no longer pink. Remove from skillet keep warm. Pour water into same skillet and dissolve beef boullion cube in water. Stir in mushrooms and onions and let simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together the sour cream and cornstarch. Add to skillet when done simmering. Lower heat to low setting and continue cooking until mixture has thickened but do not boil. Pour gravy mixture over steaks and serve warm.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails