Saturday, December 5, 2009

Rhubarb Jam

So this is more of a summer recipe...making jam is just something you do in the summer. However, I made two batches on a chilly fall (winter?) day. I was taking inventory of my deep freeze when I noticed that we only have one container of the Strawberry Rhubarb Jam left from when I made it in June. So I pulled out some of the frozen rhubarb I had chopped up when it was fresh from the crop and made up this version. It's a bit more tart than the strawberry rhubarb version...but it's still ohhh so good! I love homemade jam!



Ingredients...


...6 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped
...1/3 cup orange juice
...1/2 cup water
...2 cups sugar
...Fruit Pectin (optional)

Directions...

Place rhubarb, orange juice, water and sugar in a large saucepan or stockpot. Bring to a rolling boil and let it boil for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thickened. At this point, you can add a half packet of fruit pectin if you wish, but the orange juice has enough natural pectin in it to appropriately thicken the jam on it's own. Adding pectin is up to each individual person and how thick they like their jam. Place into freezer containers and freeze until ready for use. Store in refrigerator in between uses.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails