Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Berry Oatmeal Muffins

I bought a bag of fresh berries at Aldi two weeks ago or so, with the intent to make delicious berry muffins with them. When I found this recipe, I knew it was a winner because it called for wheat germ...which is the first recipe in a while that I've came across calling for that. And beings that I bought a pretty big bag of wheat germ at the local Bulk Foods Amish store this past spring, I've been anxious to use it. This is a healthy to boot recipe which is great for those watching what they eat and their health. Overall, this was a pretty good recipe. I was disappointed with the lack of rising that the individual muffins did, but otherwise it's a great alternative to cold cereal for breakfast!


Ingredients...
...3/4 cup cooking oats
...1/4 cup wheat germ
...1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
...1/2 cup white sugar
...1 tbs. baking powder
...3/4 cup milk
...1/2 cup plain yogurt (you can substitute butter, oil or applesauce)
...1 egg
...1 cup fresh berries (I used fresh frozen)

Topping...

...1/4 cup cooking oats
...1/4 cup brown sugar
...1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Directions...

In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, flour, sugar and baking powder. Stir in milk, yogurt and egg until dry ingredients are moist and all is well combined. Fold in fresh berries. Scoop into prepared muffin cups. In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients until well mixed and sprinkle on top of muffin batter. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails