Tuesday, September 15, 2009

End of Summer Harvest Soup

I was wandering around over at A Year of Slowcooking the other day, and I found that Stephanie had just made this recipe a few weeks back. I had some leftover produce in my refrigerator from various farmers market trips and family members garden overflow, so I figured there was no better way to use it up than by making this recipe. I did change up the recipe from what she had written to fit what I had on hand. So this recipe I am posting is my version. If you want to see the orginial recipe, you can find it here.

Ingredients...

...4 cups chicken broth

...1 cup pasta sauce

...1 cup water

...1 yellow onion, diced

...2 cucumbers, diced

...2(ish) Yellow Summer Squash, cut into rounds

...2 cups tomatoes, diced
...2 cups cooked beans


...1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning

...1/2 cup dry pasta

Directions...

Toss all ingredients but pasta into slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours. In the last 20 minutes of cooking time, stir in dry pasta and let cook until pasta is tender.

My Thoughts...

This was just okay to me. It came out more goulash-y than soup-y. Which disappointed me tremendously, because we all know how much I like goulash. Hubs liked it, but he (of course) complained right away that there was no meat. He at most of it. I put the rest in the freezer for a chilly winter day. Odds are, I won't make this again. But it was a great way to use up that extra garden produce that was otherwise going to rot, and it's packed to boot with nutrients!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails