Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tortilla Soup

In the chilly months, I try to make a big (crock)pot full of soup about once per week. Last week I whipped up some crockpot chili. This week I decided to try something new and make Tortilla Soup. We've never had a soup like this before, so it was really fun to try! It is a pretty spicy soup though, so if you have littles in your house (or just a low spicy tolerance) you might want to tone things down a bit. Otherwise, it was greatly tasty! I served it alongside some homemade bread (which I thought I had shared my recipe for, but apparently not...watch for that to come! My sister has dubbed it the best homemade bread. ever.) and it was just a delicious and complete meal, all from scratch...and all made before I went into work today, so it was all ready when we got home!

Ingredients...
...3 cups chicken broth
...28 oz. diced tomatoes (you can use canned or fresh. I used fresh)
...1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
...1 onion, diced
...1/2 cup corn (I used frozen. You can use canned, fresh, frozen...doesn't matter!)
...1 cup chopped veggies (I used leftover Green Giant Steamers from a few nights agos supper)
...1/2 tsp. garlic powder
...1/4 tsp. chili powder
...1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
... 1 tsp. cumin
Directions...
Toss all ingredients into slow cooker and stir well. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 6-ish.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails