Thursday, June 11, 2009

Syrup....from Scratch!

I have been wanting to make my own syrup for quite some time now and we finally used up the last of our store boughten syrup so that I wouldn't feel guilty about it going to waste while I made a brand new batch. And let me tell you, I will NEVER buy syrup again!

Ingredients...
...3/4 c. packed brown sugar
...1/4 c. sugar
...3/4 c. water
...1/2 c. light corn syrup
...1 t. vanilla (or, if you would rather, you can do 1/2 t. vanilla and 1/2 t. maple extract)
Directions....
In saucepan combine sugars, water and corn syrup and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 7 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla (and maple, if using) flavoring. Let stand 15 minutes to set.

My Thoughts....

This was gooo-oood! Way better than store bought! It was the same consistency and color as store bought, but it just tasted better! I love making my own pantry staples, not only do I know exactly what's in them, but they always taste better, no matter what it is!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails