Monday, June 29, 2009

Crockpot Applesauce

I forgot how much I love homemade and warm applesauce until I started making it again this last winter! I was excited to have found apples marked down to 25c/lb for quick sale...so I grabbed up all I could and whipped up some of this deliciousness for our freezer...I got 5 pints in all (it could have been 6, but my tummy got in the way!). I can't wait until fall to make more of this...it's so perfect for a cool day!

The Ingredients...

...4 large apples. Peeled, cored and sliced.
...juice from one lemon (if you don't have a lemon on hand, don't go buy one. 2 1/2 T will substitute quite nicely)
...1/2 t. cinnamon
...1 t. vanilla
...1 T. brown sugar
...1/4 c. water

Directions...

Place apples in crockpot. Add in remaining ingredients and stir to coat all apples. Turn crockpot on low for 6 hours. After four hours, mash apples with potato masher until desired consistency.

My Thoughts...

When I make this, I usually do a double batch. My crockpot can hold a double batch just perfectly...and it will freeze into about 3-4 pints. I don't buy applesauce at the store anymore. Unless it's for baking. This is more of a eating applesauce than it is a baking one. Besides, why would you want to waste this deliciousness in a baked good. It deserves all the attention to itself!

To see other delicious recipes (and some super cute July 4 picnic ideas!) check out Tasty Tuesday over at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam!

2 comments:

Cass @ That Old House said...

Now that reminds me that I haven't made applesauce since my kids went off to college. I'm inspired to do it again!
Cass

MoneySavinDiva said...

Oh it is so delicious...perfect for a fall day (which some may be confusing our current weather with...perfect time to try a pot!)


God Bless!

Related Posts with Thumbnails