Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cucumber Salad

As you may have noticed from a few recent posts, I'm loving on our local farmers market! So, last week when I was at our grandma's house she asked what kinds of veggies there were a lot of at the market. I mentioned pickling cucumbers, and she instantly started rattling off this recipe. I made a mental note, and picked up the cucumbers on Saturday at the market. Sunday at a family reunion, one of grandma's sisters made this and hubs was raving about how much he loves it every time grams makes it. So I came home and made a big 'ol batch for him!

Ingredients...
...3 Pickling Cucumbers
...1 onion
...Salt
...Water
...1/2 cup sugar
...1/2 cup vinegar
Directions...

Thinly slice cucumbers and onion. Place in bowl and cover completely with salt water. Cover bowl and let soak for one hour. After soaking, drain salt water from cucumbers and onions and combine with 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup water. Refrigerate until serving. Cucumbers will shrink from sitting in this mixture.
The Verdict...
This is ever so tasty! So summer like and light! Hubs gobbled it right up, while it took me careful babying of the salad because I felt it was a lot of onions. But I did end up eating it all. I think next time I'll try less onions, and cut them into chunks instead of long slices. Otherwise, this is another success in my book!

To see more great recipes using up your cucumbers, check out In Season Recipe Swap over at Tammy's Recipes!

Also be sure to check out Ultimate Recipe Swap over at Life as Mom for a great selection of a variety of recipes to try!

4 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

This is one of my very favourite salads. I love it.

MoneySavinDiva said...

This was my first time having it, and it is definetely taking some taste acquiring to get used to :) Like I mentioned though, I think I just over did the onions...

Bugaboo said...

Funny that I'm eating almost this exact same thing as I stumbled upon your blog. Yes, thinly sliced onions work the best. Also, dill makes a great addition to it! :o)

Hoosier Homemade said...

I make this salad too! But I boil the sugar, water and vinegar. It dissolves the sugar nicely.
Thanks for sharing!
~Liz

Related Posts with Thumbnails