Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mexi-Pita's

This recipe was orginally called Beef & Bean Pockets. How boring. So I renamed it. Because I changed the recipe too, so it was deservant of a new name. And I think that the new name describes it well. When I gave hubs a choice the other night between the baked spaghetti or this, he chose the baked spaghetti. Little did he know this was still going to be made, just not that night. I don't think he liked it. Oh well. I did, he ate it anyways, and it was good!

Ingredients...

...Taco Meat (I used leftovers and it worked wonderfully!)
...1 can black beans
...1 onion, chopped
...2 cups tomato, chopped
...8 oz. tomato sauce
...1 teaspoon garlic powder
...1 tablespoon brown sugar
...1 teaspoon chili powder
...1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
...1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
...1/8 teaspoon marjoram
...1/8 teaspoon oregano
...1/8 teaspoon parsley flakes
...Pita breads

Directions...

Place meat, tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, brown sugar and seasonings in a deep skillet. Simmer for 1 hour. Add beans and continue cooking on a higher temperature until heated through. Serve in pita breads.

The Verdict...
I liked this! I thought it was really good! I added a dallop of sour cream to the top of the pita and it was delish! It had spice, but not so much that I wanted to cry. It was just enough to keep things interesting. I will definetely be making this again, and I really do believe that this would be a great meatless meal as well! Oooo, and maybe add some corn! That would just make this dish!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails