Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Potato Salad

My grandma made the best potato salad. EVER. The only problem? She didn't write the recipe down...it was more of a toss and taste recipe. And I have been on the hunt for a recipe similar ever since she passed. I think I finally have it about mastered. At least mastered enough to share it with all of you, because I really think this is a great base recipe. I also chose to share it this week because since hubs is gone on his motorcycle trip, I have more time to experiment in the kitchen :)

The Ingredients...

...5 Potatoes, boiled until tender but still firm
...3 Eggs, hardboiled
...1 cup chopped celery
...1/2 onion, chopped
...1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
...1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
...1/4 teaspoon celery salt
...1 tablespoon prepared mustard
...1/2 cup mayonnaise

Directions...

Cube potatoes and eggs. Place in bowl and add remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined. Refrigerate several hours before serving to chill and allow ingredients to marinate in each other and thicken.
**As a side note, you may want to play with the amount of mayonnaise. I felt that 1/2 cup was almost not enough. After standing in the refrigerator and thickening, it wasn't as creamy as I prefer potato salad to be. So the amount of mayo added is really up to you**

My Thoughts...
I love potato salad. And I thought that this was really close to being perfect. As mentioned above, I didn't think that there was quite enough mayo...and next time may try it with 3/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup. I also may try it sans onion next time as I'm pretty sure my grandma didn't add any in hers, since none of the grandkids like onion. Otherwise, this was delicious and I really can't wait to try it again and get it perfected!

To see more delicious recipes, check out Works For Me Wednesday, Recipe Edition! over at We are THAT Family!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails